“The Intensive Legal English program was extremely important for my career. It prepared me to apply for law school and pursue a master degree in Comparative Law. It really helped me improve my English skills and also provided me with a necessary overview of the most important topics of American Law. I am currently attending the University of San Diego (USD) School of Law and working on my LLM in Comparative Law. After graduation, I plan to sit for the California Bar so I will be licensed to practice law here.” – Rachel Nero
Whether it is your goal to become more well-informed about American Law or obtain conditional admissions into a LLM program at the University of San Diego or California Western School of Law, join us this summer 2016, beginning June 20, 2016, for the Intensive Legal English program, and let us help you successfully attain your goal.
Intensive Legal English (ILE) core classes are taught by highly skilled English instructors with master’s degrees in linguistics, TEFL, or related field. Students will focus on content and language skills for U.S. legal studies, providing:
- an introduction or review of U.S. legal systems
- trial procedures
- landmark cases
- social/cultural trends that affect the law
- guest lecturers by legal scholars and practicing attorneys
- reading, vocabulary study and discussion
- participant presentations
- class excursions to the courthouse and other sites
- individualized studies chosen from a set of prepared legal content areas
- focus on the specialized terminology and grammar usage of legal English
- and more!
Students who are interested in this program must have the following admissions criteria to apply to the ILE program:
- Advanced English proficiency
- Submit transcripts for the four most recent semesters of their academic studies. These studies must include some studies in Western Law or Western Civilization.
ILE participants who complete the Intensive Legal English program with strong grades and references from all English Language Institute (ELI) instructors may be eligible for conditional admission to California Western School of Law, the University of San Diego School of Law, or Thomas Jefferson School of Law.
Want to apply? Contact us!